Male Fertility Supplements
Sometimes the problem with fertility is not in the female but is a problem with the male sperm. Fortunately, there are several male fertility supplements out there that can improve male fertility and can enhance the ability to get pregnant. There are a few:
- Fertilsan M—this is a male fertility supplement that contains both zinc and folic acid, which are good for fertility. It also contains high amounts of arginine and carnitine, which are amino acids that help enhance the performance and quality of the sperm. This is a product that can improve the sperm count, maximize motility, and increase sperm volume. It is made in Germany but can be shipped to the US.
- Carnipure—this is a Swiss product that contains carnitine, which is an amino acid that enhances male fertility.
- Orthomol fertil plus—this is a product that includes the omega 3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA but doesn’t include carnitine or arginine. It may be less effective when improving male fertility.
- Fertil M PRO—this is similar to Fertilsan M but doesn’t have as much of the nutrients in it as the Fertilsan M product. It does contain zinc, arginine, vitamin A, and folic acid but not in the high amounts as can be seen in Fertilsan M. It is also only available in Europe.
- Vitamin C—men who take vitamin C in doses of about 2000-6000 mg per day have decreased clumping of sperm, which enhances fertility.
- Zinc—zinc can be taken at about 100-200 mg per day. Zinc has been known to increase sperm count, testosterone levels, and the motility of the sperm. You can take a supplement of zinc or get your zinc through eating organ meats, lamb, turkey, oysters, beef, legumes, nuts, wheat germ, or herring.
- Arginine—this is an amino acid that is produced by the body but can be taken as a supplement. Arginine is found in the main head of the sperm. It increases sperm count and enhances sperm motility. Erections seem to be better, too, because it improves the blood supply to the penis. You can take arginine as a supplement or eat it in meat, poultry, chocolate, nuts, dairy products, or fish.
- Other nutrients—other nutrients you can take to maximize sperm count include taking essential fatty acids, chromium, selenium, copper, vitamin E, coenzyme Q, and B12 (and other B vitamins).
Herbal Remedies for Male Fertility
There are some herbs that have been found to enhance male fertility. Remember that few research studies have been done on male fertility and the use of herbs but they are generally considered to be safe and can’t hurt.
Here are some herbs that can aid in male fertility:
- Panax Ginseng
- Saw Palmetto Berry
- Gingko biloba
- Muira Puama
- Rhodiola rosea
- Elk antler velvet
- Horny goat weed
- Tribulus terrestris
Talk to a reputable herbalist about which of these you might take for male fertility and ask them how much you should take for maximal effect. Sperm takes three months to form so the effectiveness of any supplement you take will take at least that long to have a positive effect on your fertility.